Sunday, April 7, 2013

An Amish Kitchen~Three Stories to Nourish Your Soul by Beth Wiseman, Kelly Long, and Amy Clipston

 
This book contains three separate stories all set in Amish homes and cultures. This is a genre which I particularly enjoy reading, and these stories did not disappoint. Each of them are written by a different author, and yet they flow together pleasantly, with no jarring feeling of leaping from one to the next. This is the first book I have reviewed that I read in an e-book format. I was anxious to see how that would go for me (I read on a Nook). None of the formats would download correctly to my Nook, which caused quite a bit of frustration. I ended up reading them seated in front of my desk-top computer. Still, those frustrations aside, the book was a lovely quick read and a nice interlude in the peaceful lives of the Amish people in the stories. My favorite was the last story, A Recipe for Hope, by Beth Wiseman. It was a good story of tolerance and acceptance among family members.


A great addition to the book, that I really appreciated, was the large selection of Amish recipes included. I love that it included a glossary of Pennsylvania Dutch words also. Having them in the stories is a great help to creating the flavor of an Amish story, but I tend to forget what the words mean, so it was good to be able to look back to the glossary for help when needed. There is also a reading group guide, which I never use, but is probably valuable to many readers.


I would recommend this book to anyone wanting a light-hearted & quick read, with a definite Christian basis. I look forward to reading more from these authors!


This book was provided to me free by the publisher in exchange for a review.

1 comment: